Paolo Bandini Architect
Genova (GE) ∙
Phone. 010 868 4978
A r c h i t e c t u r e and D e s i g n
PB Architect ©2023
Oratory Nizza Monferrato
Location: Nizza Monferrato (AT)
Client: Diocese of Aqui
Job: Urban planning proposal - Nizza Monferrato Oratory (AT)
Date: 2012 - 2014
Amount of work: € 11,690,000.
Project: Feasibility study
Collaborators: Ezio Bardini
Artwork category (table z-1): E-11
Surface area of the areas: 53,255 m2. | Total built area: 7,800 sq m. | Hypothetical Energy Class: A - B
Redevelopment and enhancement of social, recreational and sports areas and equipment of general interest, within the specific structural variant to the PRG and to be implemented with the participation of public and private subjects in conventional agreement as they are interested in the planning, implementation and management of interventions . Lot A: the project involves the construction of new structures for social and recreational purposes (summer camp and related services, etc.); the rearrangement and qualification of outdoor spaces with new equipment to serve multipurpose recreational outdoor activities; the demolition of the structure and related appurtenances now intended for bowls no longer consistent with the social purposes of the oratory, providing for their relocation to another area; the construction of new buildings mainly intended for residences with eco-sustainable characteristics (partly of a 'free' type and partly of a 'social' character) with related appurtenances and services to be placed between the two spaces now occupied by the football field (of which relocation to another area is envisaged) and from multipurpose fields (which are expected to be relocated within the free areas of the Oratory. Lot B: the project involves the construction of a new sports field for football and the connected structure for changing rooms, the construction of a new structure for the game of bowls (both indoors and outdoors of the same size as that existing in Lot A), the construction of complementary interventions (with trees, green areas and drained surface arrangements etc.) necessary for the accessibility and use of the two sports facilities in connection with the existing road network (accesses, pedestrian paths, a parking area).
Designing with criteria of efficiency and attention to energy saving is the sign of a new way of building, increasingly attentive to the quality of living and use of buildings, respecting the environment, and considering the building organism in all its ecological components. biological and social. It is essential to pay attention to the environmental sustainability of buildings to obtain an increase in living comfort and a significant reduction in energy consumption. With our intervention, we have begun to implement construction criteria that take into particular consideration the environmental impact connected to the building in order to restore harmony between man, the building, and the environment, through the use, where possible, of natural materials suitable for the health of those who live there, coming from renewable sources and easily recyclable at the end of their life cycle. Furthermore, our will is expressed in wanting to build with increasingly advanced materials and systems, using the best technologies in order to reduce consumption, providing a positive contribution to the energy crisis of the entire environmental system, and at the same time making the house more liveable and comfortable. home environment; therefore not only economic savings but also and above all living comfort, and more generally in the use of spaces.
The intervention in which we tried to realize this design philosophy involves two lots (A and B) located in the Municipality of Nizza Monferrato, in which we have adopted measures such as:
- the insertion of horizontal sunshade elements that allow you to screen the south-facing facade from the sun in the warm months;
- thermal break windows with selective glass;
- introduction of fresh air into the rooms by pressure difference;
- bare trees that during the summer cool the air and create shade;
- the skylight on the roof that allows diffused lighting of the rooms;
- ventilated facade;
- wind turbines;
- geothermal heat pump;
- radiant floor panels;
- photovoltaic panels;
- rainwater collection and recycling system. In lot A (14,200 sq m) the intervention will mainly be of new construction with the provision of two residential complexes (7,440 sq m) (including parking areas, green spaces, and commercial spaces) and a structure that is part of the pertinent area of the oratory (800 square meters) aimed at temporary accommodation and services related to sporting activities. Building a certified "class A" building with low energy consumption and high living comfort generally means intervening with measures aimed at eliminating thermal bridges, orienting buildings correctly, defining optimal thermal insulation, studying architectural and plant solutions aimed at reduction of heating and cooling costs, as can be seen from the attached section
The operations that are identified as redevelopment in part of lot A (Old Oratory) and in lot B (Campolungo area of 39,000 square meters) are part of a promotion program already started in the municipal area. This is the enhancement of public and public use equipment as regards sports and recreational activities, also in connection with existing school equipment. The idea is to develop a project for the management of sports facilities using the resources derived from energy saving thanks to the installation of photovoltaic systems that free up the necessary funds to be reinvested in the optimization and expansion of the same sports facilities.
FUNCTIONAL CHARACTERISTICS OF THE HOME AUTOMATION SYSTEM
In the definition of this project, a new approach to the choice and plant planning was used. In new buildings (Lot A), in fact, the use of BACS systems (Building automation control systems) is called also devices for the control and management of buildings that make it possible to concretely improve the energy efficiency of the building systems. A domotic house optimizes energy resources and allows great savings on consumption, manages active and passive safety (for example with gas or smoke detectors), manages the lighting and climate of each room according to actual needs, and controls the appliances , ventilation, audio, and video of the house, the gate, and the external parts. The advantages of a home automation system designed in this way are:
• A precise regulation of the temperatures in the rooms, with a high yield of the energy used
• The correct distribution of costs between the condominiums based on the real use of energy
• The ability to evolve systems, even after some time, and to meet the needs of the most demanding customers
• Control of the air quality inside the rooms by managing humidity, temperature, and carbon dioxide levels
• A very simple system for setting your favorite temperatures at different times of the day. These are all phases of a way of designing and building necessary to obtain a quality product. The well-being of homes due to a healthy environment will be immediately perceived.
1) Evergreen trees cool the air and create shade in the summer. During the winter they shelter from the cold winds coming from the north and north-east.
2) By means of the evaporative process, the Vegetation helps to cool the air and filter the light.
3) Rainwater collection and recycling system. The water is collected in a tank, filtered, and reused for irrigation and for domestic drains.
4) Thin film CIS photovoltaic panels.
5) Solar panels.
6) The inclination of the summer sun rays is intercepted by the horizontal louvers and by the overhangs that allow you to shield the south-facing facade from the sun in the warm months without blocking the view to the outside. Thermal break windows with selective glass reduce thermal gains.
7) Radiant floor panels.
8) Introduction of fresh air into the rooms by pressure difference. Generation of natural cross ventilation thanks to the presence of windows placed on opposite sides.
9) Ventilated facade
10) Leafless trees. During the summer they cool the air and create shade. During the winter they allow sunlight to filter through the branches and warm southwest wind to gain access. 11) The lower inclination of the winter sun rays allows natural lighting of the rooms and guarantees the active thermal gain by radiation.
12) The skylight on the roof allows diffused lighting of the rooms.
13) Wind turbines.
14) Geothermal heat pump.